Began making the skyline casing.
Used 20 GA (0.036) steel. Used the same method of bending as on the
tender. Here the front section is being bent.
Cut out the portion around the
stack and made the insert. Used the wood block for support and gauge.
The front was molded into shape
and welded up.
Needed some half-round brass for
the edging. I made this jig. Basically it goes in round and comes out
with half removed.
A steady hand and some prompting
ended up with some good results.
Here's the half-round bent to
shape before being soldered.
All done soldering, now for some
Well, that about finishes the
Was still figuring out how I was
going to make the rest of the casing. Decided to make it in 3 parts.
Here's the middle section being bent.
And here it is showing the
brackets that will be welded to the inside to stiffen it up.
Been trying to find an easy way to
"pop" these things on/off without using any tools. This is what I came
up with. Made these metal brackets, riveted it to the boiler jacketing
and screwed a brass clip on top. It has 2 balls pressing inwards which
grabs the other half installed on the casing. Three of these clips were
used, one for each section. The casings interlock with each other and
are also attached to the cab and smokebox.
Here is a close-up of the cutouts
for the safeties (middle section) and the turbos (rear section).
Here's the front. Still need to
make the side lights and other "details".
It's all ready to be painted.
Been working on the front skyline
casing section adding some "detail" to it. Here is how I made the
lights that go on the sides of the front piece. After the plans were
drawn up, I started out with a couple billets of aluminum. They were
drilled and threaded for 3/8" NPT, shoved a pipe in it and mounted in
the lathe for some trimming...
Then I used the lathe's X-Y axis
freehand until I got the shape below. A template was made and was used
to get the shape.
After some filing and much
sanding/buffing they were drilled for the lights and wiring. You can
see the temporary threads in the front light opening which was used to
hold the piece while machining it.
Next thing to address were the
number boards. Made a couple samples out of cardboard and ended up with
these. The numbers are brass stencils with white translucent plastic
placed behind them to diffuse the light.
Here, the position of the LED's
were being tested to see what angle was needed to distribute the light
the best. Most LED's are brightest head-on, but these have a special
coating which gives it a 360 degree span. 2 LED's were used inside.
They were held in place by rubber grommets inserted in brackets which
were later soldered into position.
A shot of what the final wiring
looked like. Wire nuts were used to make it easier to remove the lights
if I ever needed to. The circle on the right in the photo is a jack
which is used to plug the 12v power into for the lights.
This is the plug (in circle) that
goes in the jack above. This lets me take the skylight casing off
without having to deal with a permanently wired connection.
The number boards and lights are
all mounted. Still have to paint this thing a nice black.
A view with the lights ON...
A fake horn was made and mounted
on the front casing. This just about does it for the skyline casing.
Once the weather breaks, it can be finally painted.
And here it is with the flag