|Somebody call a Cab?
Well, finally got around to working on the cab
roof. Bending 15 ga. steel is not easy if you don't have the right
equipment. The roof section was rough cut with about an extra inch of
material at the ends so it could adjust and cut once everything was
fitted. The overall radius was done by hand (and muscle). A sharp bend
(and accurate) needed to be made about 1 inch from the end. I tried
doing this freehand (hammered it, heated it, etc.) before and failed
miserably. I seen this rig (below) and it works very well.
To make the bend, you tighten the
screws down. The solid rod still bent so the rig was turned around and
used the vice to apply pressure to the center section as the screws were
Next thing was to fit the roof to
the body. Tabs were solver soldered along the radius in front to firmly
hold the cab to the roof. The sides of the roof were measured and cut
to the proper length.
Cab stanchions were needed to go
along the edge of the roof sides. I had the drawings so this was the
Here is the cab (below) with the
sides and front of the roof cut to size. The stanchions are also
installed. You can see in the picture where the torch marks are on the
roof towards the front were the clips were installed to hold down the
roof. Some metal was silver soldered to the door posts to stiffen them
up. Now it just needs a little sand blasting, a good coat of paint and
we'll be ready to install.
The handrails were finally put on
along with a coat of paint.
After running the Daylight for a
few years, it was time to add doors to the cab. Since the door opening
were cut out, I decided to make working doors. I don't plan on opening
them, but they can if I needed to,
The doors needed to be painted and
a few spots on the cab needed to be touched up so I decided to just
paint the whole thing again.