Getting nowhere fast!
Also made a
stationary runner (for lack of a better description) to easily turn the
drivers of the Northern while on the engine stand. This helps in timing
and eventually running it on air. Used 16 old bearings attached to
angle iron. I cut the angle iron on each side into 4 separate
sections. I then bolted the bearing runners to the engine stand.
Here's what it looks like.
We'll the next
thing I had to do is figure out some way of turning the drivers to
"break in" everything I did so far. I wanted to do this to determine if
anything was binding and to wear in the driver bearings, crossheads,
crosshead slides, pistons, piston rods, side rods and the connecting
rods. Couldn't run it on air because the valve gear wasn't ready.
There are tons of ways to do this and I quickly realized that I could
spend many hours making something work. I took the fast easy way out.
I'm not proud of what it looks like but "IT WORKS". Basically, I took a
toothed belt I had laying around and put it on the rear left driver (had
to remove the brake hangers for that). The other end went on the drill
chuck of an old 1/2" drill which was strapped to the frame. Looks ugly,
but I lubed her up and locked the drill in the "on" position and let her
run for about a half hour. Was it cool... This was the next best thing
to getting her to run on air. Need I say, but everything worked
excellent and I didn't have to make any changes. I noticed some metal
shavings on the stand by the crosshead, but I realized that it was only
from the breaking in process. Before I ran it, it was somewhat hard to
rotate the drivers. After I ran it, I could easily move the drivers
with one hand.
The best part of
all of this is that it takes less than 5 minutes to setup and take down.